- Indiana Registered Retail Merchant’s Certificate Compliance. The Indiana Department of Revenue requires any business that conducts sales (retail or wholesale) within the state of Indiana be registered by obtaining a Registered Retail Merchant’s Certificate (RRMC ). A business tax application (BT-1 ) is filed along with a $25 registration fee. There are several items of taxpayer information that will be needed to complete the BT-1.
How do I get a Indiana retail merchant certificate?
A Registered Retail Merchant’s Certificate can be obtained by registering through the Indiana Department of Revenue or by mailing in the BT-1 form. Information needed to register includes: Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), or SSN if a sole proprietorship with no employees. Business name and address.
What is a retail merchant certificate in Indiana?
This registration allows you to legally conduct retail sales in the state of Indiana. Once your registration is completed and processed, you’ll be issued a Registered Retail Merchant Certificate (RRMC). You’ll need one certificate on display for each business location, if you have more than one retail address.
How do you get a wholesale license in Indiana?
To buy and sell items as a wholesaler in Indiana, a company or individual must register as an Indiana Retail Merchant by filing Form BT-1. Contact the Indiana Department of Revenue to obtain a Form BT-1 application to become an Indiana Retail Merchant. This application can also be filled out online.
How much is an Indiana business license?
Registration for Sales, Use, and Income Taxes
A separate application is required for each business location. There is a $25.00 non refundable application fee for a Retail Merchants Certificate. BT1/Business Tax Application: www.in.gov/dor (On line Services).
What is a BT 1?
Purpose: Form BT-1 is an application used when registering with the Indiana Department of Revenue for Sales Tax, Withholding Tax, Out-of-State Use Tax, Food & Beverage Tax, County Innkeepers Tax, Motor Vehicle Rental Excise Tax, and Prepaid Sales Tax on Gasoline, or a combination of these taxes.
Do I need a business license in Indiana?
Not every Indiana business needs a license. However, many types of businesses either can or must get one or more licenses or permits. Indiana does not have a general, state-issued business license.
What is a retail merchant?
Retail merchant. A merchant that provides goods and/or services in the retail industry, but that is not a mail/phone merchant, a recurring services merchant or a travel and entertainment (T&E) merchant.
What items are not taxed in Indiana?
NON-TAXABLE FOOD ITEMS
The term does not include tobacco, alcoholic beverages, candy, dietary supplements, or soft drinks. The Indiana sales tax does not apply to the sale of food and food ingredients if they are sold unheated and without eating utensils provided by the seller.
What is Indiana known for?
Indiana, known for its love of basketball and for producing stars such as Larry Bird and Louie Dampier, has generated the fifth-highest number of professional basketball players per capita of any state. 6. Indiana has the nation’s second-largest automotive industry and is leading the U.S. in manufacturing job growth.
How many cars can you own in Indiana?
The Indiana Secretary of State licenses all Indiana car dealers. You are legally allowed to sell up to 12 vehicles in a year, as long as those vehicles are registered in your name and used primarily for personal, family, or household use. If you wish to flip vehicles for a profit, you will need to get a license.
How much does it cost to file an LLC in Indiana?
Forms and fees. LLC registrants are required to complete and submit Articles of Organization to the Secretary of State. There is a filing fee that is about $90 for documents submitted by mail and another fee that is about $85 for documents submitted online.
What do you need to start a business in Indiana?
To Start a Business in Indiana, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Choose the Right Business Idea. …
- Step 2: Plan Your Business. …
- Step 3: Form Your Business. …
- Step 4: Register for Taxes. …
- Step 5: Create Business Banking and Credit Accounts. …
- Step 6: Set Up Accounting. …
- Step 7: Obtain Permits and Licenses. …
- Step 8: Get Insured.
How long does it take to get an LLC in Indiana?
How do I get an EIN number in Indiana?
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
- You may apply for an EIN online if your principal business is located in the United States or U.S. Territories.
- The person applying online must have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, EIN).
- You are limited to one EIN per responsible party per day.