Find the vital records office in your state of birth or visit Vital Records Online to begin the process there. Some states allow you to apply for a replacement birth certificate without identification.
- To replace your lost birth certificate without any other identification you will need to contact your local vital records office so that they provide you with instructions for your specific case. This may vary depending on the state you were born in, whether you were adopted, born on US territory, or abroad, and other factors.
How do I obtain a copy of my birth certificate?
Contact the vital records office in the state or territory where you were born to get a copy of your birth certificate. Follow the instructions for requesting copies and paying fees. If you need a copy fast, ask about expedited service or shipping when you place your order.
How can I prove my identity without ID?
You can use any document from the following list:
- State identification (ID) card.
- Driver license.
- US passport or passport card.
- US military card (front and back)
- Military dependent’s ID card (front and back)
- Permanent Resident Card.
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- Certificate of Naturalization.
Can I get a copy of my birth certificate online?
You can get a certified copy of your birth certificate online or by visiting the birth certificate office where the person on record was born. Ordering your birth certificate online is the easiest way to order birth records.
What can I use as proof of ID?
Acceptable personal identification documents include: Passports of non-EU nationals, containing UK stamps, a visa or a UK residence permit showing the immigration status of the holder in the UK. A current UK or European photo-card driving licence. UK full or provisional photo-card driving licence.
Where can I get a photo ID besides the DMV?
If you are getting into school or in office you can get your photo id within one day.
- DMV express service: Some states offers express service which can save your time.
- Online renewal:
- Mail renewal:
- Getting a passport:
- Form of photo ID:
- Related Article:
What do you do if you have no identification?
Keep your original documents in a safe. Store a certified copy of your birth certificate in your safe. Do not store your Birth Certificate and Social Security card in your wallet or purse, keep them in a safe place in your home or office where you will be able to find them easily.
How long does it take to get a birth certificate?
It typically takes 4 to 8 weeks to receive your certified birth certificate copy in the mail. If you need your replacement sooner, premium services such as VitalRecordsOnline.com offer a Rush Package with expedited shipping. Some states may even be able to provide a copy within 2-3 business days.